Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ironman? Oh, no thanks!

This summer has been jam-packed full of fun! We have spent every weekend away since I completed school and it's already September (how did that happen?!).

We spent the first weekend with Brother Nick and Sister-in-law Hilary. Hil and I impulse signed up for an Ironman 70.3 in Lake Stevens during a moment of glory (we were totally hung-over...new years day). Eight months after the mistake, the day from hell arrived. Hil is strong. Really strong. And she trained...well. Really well. I trained well too...for like 3 weeks of the 20. I spent the last 3 weeks before the event resting after tweaking my knee. I couldn't run and cycling was uncomfortable.

I planned on not running at all and completing just the swim and bike. But just as I had managed to sign up for the event in a moment of glory, I also decided to do the run in a moment of glory. I had already swam 1.2 miles without a wetsuit (4 people out of 1400 were not wearing wetsuits to my knowledge...I was one of them) and road a horrible 56 miles on a hilly course and it was 95 degrees. Who really cares if you run 13.1 miles at that point? I mean, I already felt horrible and was so relieved to get off the bike that I figured that I would just wing it. Worst case scenario? Free gu's and gatorade.




So I ran. Well, I walked. And jogged. And ran a little bit. And I put ice in my hat and electrolytes in my belly.



AND I DID IT! THE WHOLE THING!! IT WAS AWFUL!!

Don't do it. I hate to be cynical...but DON'T DO IT! I don't even know if it was worth it and it's been 3 weeks.

I couldn't have done it without my so-supportive sweetie, Dashel, my brother Nick and his positive attitude, my sister-in-law Hilary and her dirty jokes or my amazing friends Christa and Brian for convincing at least 10 other people to cheer for me as I trudged by.

For those of you who didn't see it, sorry! It won't happen again!!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! But later, like years from now, you'll look back on the whole thing and think "WOW I was awesome!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this may sound silly, coming from just a friend and not your mother. but i've never been so proud! i have the tiniest bit of understanding how much you wanted to complete that damn race and i know how stubborn you are. and it was a gift to be able to watch you! you are my hero! and yes, never do that again...

    ReplyDelete