Saturday, January 2, 2010

Back to school, back to school...

I have one more day of freedom before I am back in the real world. This whole "working" thing is a total breeze! Add on a few classes and 20 hours of clinical and it becomes a bit hectic.

To start prepping for a very long first week back, I decided to make some food ahead of time. We ordered a box of vegetables from Full Circle Farms using a couple of coupons making it a sweet deal. Usually it's $30 for a box of veggies which you can have delivered weekly or every other week. I bought a great coupon at Groupon which was $25 for $50 credit. I also had a $15 off coupon from the Chinook Book! What a steal!

The box included: beets, carrots, purple potatoes, lettuce, braising greens, mango, pears, oranges, avocados, onion, cucumber, cauliflower and grape tomatoes.

I steamed the beets and covered them in balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to top salads. Made a couple of cups of quinoa, slices all of the veggies for hummus and roasting and ate all of the carrots in the process.

I also did an experiment tonight making homemade instant oatmeal...and it worked! I often don't have time to eat at 6am when I am running out of the house and have been relying on granola bars, yogurt, hardboiled eggs, fruit, etc. but sometimes I just want something warm.

Soooo, I blended up some oatmeal, flax seeds and sunflower seeds into a flour and combined it with regular non-blended oats (equal parts), a pinch of salt, a pinch of brown sugar, coconut, cinnamon, raisins and more sunflower seeds.

I now have instant oatmeal without all of the extra junk and it wasn't made with quick oats! Some ideas that I read about online included adding coffee creamer, vanilla pudding mix, dried fruit, almond extract and making it with apple juice instead of water.

So far it tastes great!

2 comments:

  1. ooo,what a steal is right, way to get the deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait you can't go back yet we didn't get in a visit while you were off...oh well, our loss. that instant oatmeal sounds delish, I will be trying it in the morn! (but prepping it now...)

    ReplyDelete